GIF of the Day
25 WTF Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Panels That Will Live On FOREVER
July 24, 2017
1. By now you've probably heard that SEGA has finally ended its partnership with the Archie Comics company
2. This officially ends over 24 years of continuous storytelling involving Sonic the Hedgehog and his disparate incarnations from games and television
3. It's an incredible body of work with maybe the most intense fanbase in Internet history
4. BUT, it also leaves behind a legacy of completely inscrutable weirdness
5. Sonic was a corporate mascot, but the comics imbued his universe with SO MUCH melodrama
6. Though more recent series should be admired for trying to lighten things up
7. Then there's the tragedy of the franchise's repeated attempts at "coolness"
8. We have a silly animal adventure, written by adults, but meant to appeal to young teens?
9. Would the Internet be as "weird" as it is now if not for these early inspirations?
10. The unholy remnants from DECADES of canon were left to interact with each other in bizarre ways
11. It was a true pop-culture anomaly
12. At once oblivious and yet gloriously self-aware
13. And whenever they DID add original characters and story elements, they were more GONZO than you could ever imagine.
14. This is all separate from "Sonic the Comic" which was the UK's own independent gonzo Sonic universe, (sorry if some of that is getting in here, it's genuinely hard to tell)
Page 1 of 2
4 Questions I Still Have About Game of Thrones
Pokemon Sun Playthrough - Episode 42 + 43
20 Funny Tumblr Posts That Might Actually Teach You Something
sonic the hedgehog
We like you. Do you like us too?
Don't ask me again.