If you were a young nerd during the past 15 years, then chances are you were once enthralled by the siren song of anime. The slick animation, the "mature" themes, and never-ending supplies of toys/snacks/merchandise makes it an appealing pasttime for people that are still figuring themselves out and maybe need to indulge some fantasy. It doesn't need to be said that not every fan is as unaware/awkward/goofy as the people featured in these stories, but as someone who just BARELY climbed out of a weeaboo phase during his younger days (and I have the rayon Goku shirt to prove it) sometimes you just have to facepalm about the absurd behaviors people will exhibit in the name of Japanese cartoons.
Here's some choice selections from reddit's r/weeabootales page, where people share some of the most jaw-droppingly cringey encounters they've had with otakus who went off the deep end:
1. A Campus Security Guard Meets a True Warrior
2. Someone gets an impromptu lesson in Japanese, and keeping their traps shut
3. You best heed his warning...
4. Are you SURE you didn't forget one?
5. Subs > Dubs, always. ALWAYS!
6. I need this to be parody, for the sake of my sanity
7. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
8. This is clearly self-defense