There's a good chance you're not too familiar with director Taika Waititi - his biggest movie so far was the little-seen vampire mockumentary What We Do In the Shadows (which is seriously so SO good, so go see it). But very soon you'll know his name - he's the director of the upcoming Thor: Ragnarok, which features Thor and Hulk mixing it up with the likes of Jeff Goldblum AND Cate Blanchett. But mostly, he's a genuinely hilarious dude and an extremely out-of-left-field pick to direct a Thor movie (then again, Marvel has a pretty solid track record of picking weird choices for movies and it being amazing).
The main point is: Taika Waititi seems like a hilarious, smart, and ridiculous person, and his Twitter account alone makes us excited for Thor: Ragnarok.
1. He really truly "gets" the Thor series so far.
2. He's a masterful troll.
3. Sometimes it's hard to tell if he's trolling or actually dropping hints...
Thor is investigating who is after the Infinity Stones... pic.twitter.com/hlrhFwDKmh-- Taika Waititi (@TaikaWaititi) July 30, 2016
4. I mean, we're 99% sure he's trolling, but...
5. Okay, 99.9% sure...
6. He goofs on the official Thor Twitter account when he's bored.
7. He's goofin' with the actual Mjolnir prop more than any of the previous Thor directors.
8. He is trolling everyone real hard, but especially Loki-fans.
9. ...and Jane Foster fans.
10. ...and ESPECIALLY Sif fans.
11. He remains level-headed in the Team Cap vs. Team Iron Man debate.
12. He prefers a good goof over ever giving anyway actual spoilers, yet people KEEP ASKING for some reason.
13. He reminds us that Anthony Hopkins is always lurking behind us.
14. He knows the true secret to the Thor series' success.
15. He knows how to set Sif-Thor shippers hearts aflutter...
16. He has the best reasoning ever for the font choice for Thor: Ragnarok.
17. He's constantly interacting with fellow Marvel directors like Scott Derrickson (Doctor Strange).
@scottderrickson Hey man, don't tell anyone at Marvel but I'm freaking out. Strictly confidential!-- Taika Waititi (@TaikaWaititi) May 12, 2016
Your secret is totally safe with me, brother. https://t.co/cm3BWNgYjj-- Scott Derrickson (@scottderrickson) May 12, 2016
Thanks man. Also, I loved Creed. https://t.co/xjaDLS9QhB-- Taika Waititi (@TaikaWaititi) May 12, 2016
18. ...and Peyton Reed (Ant-Man), and James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy).
12. Add 11 school buses full of kids exploding & you'll be good. People love that in superhero movies. https://t.co/4NH6FJf4jt-- James Gunn (@JamesGunn) May 12, 2016
Ahh got it, thanks! And do I have to put that purple dude in the floating chair in my movie? The magic glove guy. https://t.co/U8fFly4Ewg-- Taika Waititi (@TaikaWaititi) May 12, 2016
19. ...and (almost) Jon Watts (Spider-Man: Homecoming).
Someone tell Jon Watts to join twitter. I need to know if he wants to swap titles. "Spiderman Ragnarok" and "Thor Homecoming" would rule.-- Taika Waititi (@TaikaWaititi) May 12, 2016
In short, superhero movies need more directors like Taika Waititi behind the scenes. So do yourself a favor and follow him on Twitter ASAP.
BONUS! The thing he did for San Diego Comic-Con sounds INCREDIBLE.
Thor: Ragnarok did not show an actual teaser or any real footage from the finished film, but instead a short mockumentary-style video of what Thor was up to during the events of Civil War. In short, he was living in Australia with his new flatmate, Darryl.
Incredibly, footage of this seems to have not been widely-leaked yet - but the descriptions of it sound pretty incredible - including bits of Thor having a tiny bed for Mjolnir when he sleeps, emailing Tony Stark reminiscing about the time he "created the possessed robot that nearly destroyed Earth", etc.