You might have seen the "Roundabout" meme popping up here and there as of late. Though the meme originated months ago, it's enjoying a sudden surge in popularity.
So... what the hell is it about? Well, it's a reference to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, which would play the Yes song "Roundabout" during the end of the episode -- often during a cliffhanger -- leading into the credits.
It sounds a little weird, but Roundabout can be applied to pretty much anything that has a cliffhanger. Like most any meme, it's pretty easy to place it in a variety of different contexts.
1. For example, here it is in the cliffhanger ending of Walking Dead Season 6
2. The Roundabout meme can also be used to *insert* cliffhangers into scenes that don't normally have one. Like, say, Superbad
3. It also works extremely well for Dark Souls, since something is about to go wrong at all times in those games
4. It's kind of hard to explain exactly why this is funny. It just is
5. It's insane how deep people are diving for this meme. Remember this twist from 2011's Mortal Kombat 9?
6. Or uh, this cartoon?
7. Even Overwatch fans have gotten in on it
8. According to KnowYourMeme, the earliest known use of Roundabout in this form was posted in January 2016
9. Dark Souls is probably still the best use-case for this meme
I LOVE THE ROUNDABOUT MEME pic.twitter.com/oKcK4OMn2F-- Joelseph Joestar (@BooDooPerson) May 16, 2016
10. If you're still confused, don't worry -- you're not alone.